I mentioned previously that I’ve been busy putting together the poly-tunnel (amongst other things) hence the dearth of actual crafts of late, although I think the tunnel may actually qualify under the auspices that it is ‘Stuff’ what has been ‘Made’!? Failing that Jolene has been working on a couple of bits n’ bobs that should be finished in the next few days so we might actually return to some real craft stuff soon :)
The tunnel’s steel work has been relatively simple to erect, in fact I can honestly say that the most difficult part was digging quarrying the holes for the ground tubes and anchor plates through a rock rich clay mixture. Fortunately the father-in-law volunteered to help, and I must say it was help that was hugely appreciated, it took the whole day to finish digging the holes and get the tubes in but by the end of Saturday that part was done:
Having said that I did need to dig a couple back up the next day to re-align them, but with the soil already loosened by the previous days efforts it only took a half hour to do, unlike the solid hour it had previously taken to dig each whole.
On Sunday, Jolene and I set about putting up the hoops and although I had to dash out to get a titanium drill bit to allow us to drill holes for the screws we progressed well and we managed to get the basic frame up along with the corner stabilisers and door rails, even it did mean that I had been on the go from 9am until 7pm without any real break:
On Monday I was at it again, fortunately the lass was content to entertain herself and sat watching for most the day so that I was able to press on and attach all the crop bars and storm braces.
All that’s left to do now is put together the door frames, doors, attach the base rails and then wait for a nice calm day that happens to coincide with some spare bodies so that we can get the cover on. Of course once that’s done I’ll need to install some raised beds and a staging area … we might actually get something growing in it by 2012!!
Aside from weeds I mean: